Child Support Lawyer NYC


NYC Child Support Attorney With Over 20 Years Experience

Are you looking for a New York City child support lawyer? Perhaps you and your former spouse both had attorneys for your divorce case, but you are now in family court on a request to modify the child support order. Do you need a family law attorney for that?

Did you have a child support agreement , but circumstances have changed and you can no longer afford the amount of your child support payments?

I have appeared in all the NYC family courts, including Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island on child support matters at one time or another. You can call me at (347) 461-0760 for a free consultation with an experienced NYC child support lawyer. You can call any time, not just during regular office hours. You can also make an appointment to meet me in person at a convenient Manhattan location.

My fees are much more reasonable than fees charged by other NYC child support lawyers and I have many positive reviews on Google from former clients.

 new york city child support lawyer

Contents show

CSSA Support Payment Guidelines & Calculations

For many years New York State Courts have used child support guidelines in most situations in order to fix an amount for child support payments.

Guideline orders under the Child Support Standards Act or “CSSA” for child support are based upon calculation of Adjusted Gross Income (“AGI”), a legal term which starts with gross pay or income and includes deductions for social security, Medicare taxes, union dues, and New York City income taxes, but not for Federal or State Income Tax.

Gross income includes Social Security payments, pensions, and disability benefits, however it is important to understand that child support is based upon income, not upon assets.

The Court will typically award the amount of child support based upon a percentage of adjusted gross income (17% of adjusted gross income for one child, 25% for two children, 29% for three children, etc.) There can also be additional amounts added to cover child care or daycare expenses, if these are necessary for the custodial parent to hold down a job or obtain work related education.

There is also a “Cassano Cap” which means that where combined adjusted gross income is above $154,000.00 the child support guidelines may or may not be applied to amounts of combined adjusted gross income which are over the “cap”.

There are numerous factors that the courts can take into consideration in a Cassano situation, perhaps the most important ones would be child support needs of the child or children and any disparity of income between the parents.

Many litigants are unaware that under New York Law the child support amount, at least in non-Cassano cases, is almost always determined solely upon incomes, and living expenses of the non-custodial parent are usually not considered.

Also, when a New York court is asked to fix an amount of child support the fact that the non-custodial parent is supporting other children that live with him is usually not taken into account. There are a few exceptions , for example as to children with special needs, where the court mayl balance the resources available to all of the children.

The non-custodial parent can get credit for payments he makes for another child not living in his household if there is either a prior court order or a written agreement requiring him to make payments against the prior order and payments are actually being made. Unlike the way it is done in other states, the non custodial parent does not get a reduction to his child support obligations because he has visitation time, even if he has up to three overnight visits a week.

In addition to the basic child support order there will typically be an order for the non-custodial parent to pay for his proportionate share of health insurance premiums for the child and/ or medical expenses not covered by health insurance.

Despite the guidelines formula, New York child support laws and cases can be very complex and are fraught with pitfalls for the pro se party or even for an attorney who is not familiar with the special law and procedures of child support cases.

On the other hand, family law attorneys with experience in child support issues will have a working knowledge of the law and will be able to come up with a strategy for your case. In order to have the best chance of a positive outcome, you should strongly consider hiring an NYC child support attorney to represent you. My family law firm offers a free initial telephone or video consultation on all child support matters.

Complex Child Support Cases In New York City

 ny child support attorney

Simple child support cases involve a non custodial parent who has steady, full time employment, on the books, and does not work overtime or have a second job.

Cases where the non custodial parent has his or her own business are more complex and both parties should have experienced child support attorneys who are familiar with all aspects of family law to assure that their rights are protected.

Other recurrent and often-times complex and problematic issues involve overtime pay, child care expenses, private school and college tuition, upward and downward modification cases (see discussion below), Cost of Living (“COLA’) cases, so-called “imputed income”, and child support enforcement.

Child support is an area where the law is both complex and changes frequently. Therefore, except for the few “cut and dried cases”, it is important for you to have representation by a family law attorney who has years of experience handling these type of cases represent you to reduce the risk of unfair or even disastrous results. I started my law practice back in 1996. Call me at (347) 461-0760, I may be able to help.

NYC High Net Worth / High Income Support Cases

“High income” or “high net worth” child support cases are invariably much more complex, difficult, and hence more expensive than cases where the combined adjusted gross income of the parents is below the Cassano cap. There are several reasons for this.

Under New York Law the court has wide discretion about deciding whether or not the child support guidelines should be applied to income which is above the Cassano cap. If the court decides to include income above the cap, it also has wide discretion to decide how high to go over the cap.

In deciding these issues the statute cites a number of relevant factors, and there is also a “catch-all” clause which allows the court to consider practically any other factor which is relevant and fair. The end result is that these cases are unpredictable as to result, hence hard to settle, and also cost a lot more money to try.

High net worth people tend to have much more complicated financial affairs, including pensions, charitable contributions, all kinds of investments, tax shelters, nannies, private schools, and the like. These are the cases where you see lawyers wearing thousand dollar suits wheeling in large boxes of documents. For these reasons legal costs will almost always be higher these kinds of cases.

While the same child support laws apply to New York City and the rest of New York state, high income cases are more common in New York City, especially in Manhattan and some parts of Brooklyn and sometimes these result in very high child support amounts awarded by the Courts. For high net worth married couples, alimony is another huge issue.


New York Child Support Modification Cases And Support Agreements

The majority of child support cases that I get are child support modification cases where one or both parties seek to modify prior child support orders. For many years courts have applied different standards to child support modification cases depending on whether the prior order was reached by agreement or if it was entered after a contested trial.

In October of 2010, the Legislature passed a statute that significantly changed the legal standards for child support modifications. Depending on when the prior order was entered, Courts will apply either the “old law” or the “new law” when deciding whether or not to increase or decrease child support court orders.

The “new” statute changes the legal burden for a change in the order, but it also provides for the parties “opting out” of almost all of its new provisions, if the prior order was by agreement between the parties, and there is a valid “opt out” clause in the order.

Private School And College Expense Obligations


According to New York case law, a non-custodial parent (usually the father) is not automatically responsible to pay for the cost of either private school or college education. Instead, the court is supposed to first determine that there are “exceptional circumstances”, and even then the court has to find that the noncustodial parent can afford to pay for the private school or college.

Exceptional circumstances are most often found when one or both of the parents themselves went to private high school or went to college. Another important factor that the courts look at is the academic aptitudes or abilities of the child. In theory, even if the court finds that “exceptional circumstances” exist, they must find that the non custodial parent has the ability to pay for private school or college.

When the child or children go away for college it is possible that the non-custodial parent can get a credit against the basic child support obligation for the the cost of room and board at the college.

Interstate Child Support Cases And Obligations

Interstate cases are cases which involve parents who reside in different states. These cases sometimes raise the most difficult, complex, and novel legal issues of all child support cases.

For example, sometimes paternity and child support is resolved with an order in one state, and then the either of the parents moves to another state, and one of the parents files a child support modification petition.

There may be complex issues about which state has jurisdiction, and child support may go to 21, or even 23 under the law of one state, while child support ends at 18 under the law of the other state.

Enforcement cases and the Child Support Collection Unit

What happens if the non custodial parent stops paying child support?

If you are the non custodial parent can you terminate or at least get a suspension of the order?

If child support payments are being made through the Child Support Collection Unit, the Unit will know when payments stop. The Unit has the power to attach wages by garnishment, attach bank accounts or seize other property of the payor without any court order.

The unit can also suspend passports, a non custodial parent’s driver’s license and other professional licenses on their own.

If the child support collection unit is unable to locate any employer or bank account, the custodial parent will have to bring a child support action to enforce the child support order.

The Family Court has the power to give the petitioner a money judgement, and can also put the non paying parent on probation or even order jail time, if it finds that the failure to pay was “willful”. . While occasionally brought in Supreme Court, these cases are usually brought in Family Court.

The court can also find a willful violation of child support if the non custodial parent fails to pay for court ordered childcare payments or court ordered health insurance for the child or children. If the court finds there is a willful violation of a child support order, there can be severe consequences, including jail time of up to six months. If the Court finds that the failure to pay was willful, it will also award attorney fees to the custodial parent.

If you have any questions about representation on a NYC Child Support case, do not hesitate to call me at (347) 461-0760

“Paul Matthews represented me in family court and did a magnificent job. He is a smart lawyer and with lots of courtroom experience. 5 stars!”

Joseph, Verified Google Review
Call Now ButtonCall today for free consult